Hope everyone has been doing well. For those of you who reached out…many thanks…I’ve been hard at work trying to figure out the art, science and business of farming. I’ll be sure to share what I’ve learnt along the way. So haven spent the whole of Q1 trying to do that I thought I’d share with you what I know for sure. As the days, weeks, months, quarters and years roll by it might change but for now this is what I know for sure.
- Everything counts. Everything you do moves you closer or further away from your goal. The annoying thing is that it might take you a while to find out. Sometimes you make a decision and think it’s right only to find out it was wrong!
- A PLAN is ….well just a plan, especially if you are a start-up. As a start-up there are just so many variables you predict and don’t predict, then to make matters worse, your assumptions turns out to be wrong or simply just change. Basically it’s super important to be flexible.
- Hire slowly and fire FAST. This is especially important for small teams. The first set of people you recruit are instrumental in building the culture of your organisation. Plus you want people that energize you and not drain your limited resources. Trust me my team has expanded and contracted in the last six months. I can’t pay you to frustrate me…no way…
- People will disappoint you, be very angry about it for a VERY SHORT TIME but please don’t take it personal, most times they never plan to, they are also dealing with their own challenges.
- You start the entrepreneurial journey with a high level of confidence but that path to achieving what we hope is success humbles you and if you keep keeping on, somehow you retain that confidence but a redefined version.
- Collaboration with the right people is KEY…you will meet a lot of wrong people along the way but don’t lose hope…you are getting closer to meeting the right one. Oh yeah bear in mind that you might meet the right person at the wrong time so be kind to everyone so when the right time comes along you can pick up where you left off…
- I truly believe in divine providence…it’s a strange thing but when you are down and out…someone or something just shows up to give you a break…phew!
- Failure really does teach you more lessons than success, the honest truth is that I’ve made more wrong decisions than right ones but the thing is that my wrong decisions always teach be far more lessons… Just remember to fail fast and move on.
- Starting a business and a farm is serious HARD WORK, like really it’s not fun and games!
- You have to keep the faith…
Thanks for sticking around 🙂 coming up next will be a series of progress updates and pictures of the farm. Please feel free to share what you know for sure!